The Lighthouse is Port Adelaide’s icon. It stands at the end of Commercial Road marking the place where the city meets the Port River.
First lit in 1869, the Lighthouse originally stood at the entrance to the Port River. It was prefabricated in England from iron plates and shipped to Adelaide in pieces, replacing the lightship Fitzjames that had been moored at the mouth of the Port River to mark the entrance to the harbour.
The Lighthouse was dismantled and relocated in 1901. The lantern was installed in a lighthouse on Wonga Shoal, off Semaphore Jetty, while the iron structure was re-erected on South Neptune Island with a new lantern and served there until 1985. The Lighthouse was restored and re-assembled on its current site in Port Adelaide in 1986.
Learn more about the Port Adelaide Lighthouse with a guided tour.