Motor Vessel Archie Badenoch was built in November 1942 at the General Motor Holden plants at Woodville and Birkenhead. It was constructed as a World War II supply-tender vessel for the Royal Australian Navy.
In 1946 the vessel was acquired by the South Australian Police Department and served as the Number 1 Water Police Launch. The vessel’s name honours Mounted Constable Archibald Badenoch, the first South Australian Police Officer killed in action during World War II. He died at El Alamein, North Africa on 1 November 1942.
From 1946 to 1978 Archie was the only all-weather deep-sea police patrol vessel. In November 1978 it was replaced with a larger, more modern vessel, the Warrendi.
During its time as the principal police launch, Archie established an outstanding sea working record, playing a role in hundreds of rescues throughout South Australian coastal waters.
In 1978 the vessel was transferred to Wardang Island to be used by the Department of Further Education and was abandoned some years later in poor condition.
From 1985, the South Australian Police Historical Society began restoring Archie Badenoch under direction from the vessel’s former master with the South Australian Police, Senior Constable Ron Newton (retired).
The Archie Badenoch is now owned and operated by the South Australian Maritime Museum, taking school students on cruises of the Port’s Inner Harbour. Surveyed to carry 24 passengers, Archie can be chartered for any occasion.
Length 40’ x Breadth 11’6’’ x Draught 5’
Tonnage: 18 tonnes (approx.)
The hull is of carvel construction with copper sheeting.