Changes to our education programs in 2020
As part of the South Australian Government’s Step 3 easing of restrictions, we can now accept school excursion bookings at the South Australian Maritime Museum. We continue to adhere to federal and state government guidelines including a maximum of 1 person per 2 sqm and an increased and regular cleaning regime.
To make sure our visitors, including school groups, remain safe at all times, we have made some changes to the school programs that are available. The size of rooms and galleries in the museums means some of our education programs have been changed, while others will not be available for the foreseeable future. Some programs use highly interactive displays and we have adapted these where we can.
We will continue to monitor, evaluate and adapt our education programs to fit government COVIDSafe guidelines and align with Department for Education recommendations. If you cannot visit us at one of our museums, we also have a range of education programs, digital and printed resources that can be used within the classroom. We are also developing a series of virtual museum visits where students can engage and interact with our curators via web conferencing platforms – watch this space!
Our education programs for 2020 are:
Frequently asked questions
What are you doing to keep students and other visitors safe?
- Our hygiene program includes regular cleaning of exhibits and ‘touchpoints’ during the day and supply of hand sanitiser throughout the museum.
- We can allow storage of school bags for school groups only.
- Some rooms and galleries have limited capacity to retain social distancing
- We will provide cleaning in eating locations after use by each school group.
- If required, students can use our disposable gloves after being shown correct use.
- We have an approved COVIDSafe Plan available to view on request.
What do teachers need to do to arrange an excursion?
- Department for Education guidelines require teachers to complete a risk assessment for each excursion – we can provide information to teachers that will assist in completing this form.
- Be aware of our capacity limits, program changes and gallery limits.
- Contact our education team for more information or to book your visit!